If you’re selling or giving out your Apple Watch to a friend or family member, you might be wondering how to reset it. Perhaps you’re moving from an older Apple Watch model to the lastest Apple Watch Model.
It’s also useful to know how to reset an Apple Watch if you just want to start over.
In the event that you forget your passcode, you may need to reset your Apple Watch to get it working again. In either case, resetting an Apple Watch is simple and quick if you follow the steps correctly.
Resetting your Apple Watch can be done in two ways. If you have your iPhone handy, you can use it to disconnect your Apple Watch from your Apple ecosystem. When you disconnect your Apple Watch from your iPhone, the smartwatch will be reset to factory settings.
Resetting your Apple Watch will wipe all of its data and settings in one click.
If you want to restore your Apple Watch after you’ve reset it, you’ll need to run an iCloud backup on your iPhone first. Make sure you’ve backed it up.
How to use your iPhone to reset an Apple Watch
- Make sure your Apple Watch and iPhone are currently paired by opening the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Go to the My Watch section of the menu. In the top left corner of the screen, select “All Watches.”
2. Next to the Apple Watch you want to unpair, tap the information icon.
3. Select Unpair Apple Watch from the list of options. You’ll be asked if you want to keep or discontinue your data plan if you have a Cellular model.
4. To reset your Apple Watch, tap Unpair Apple Watch once more. If your Watch has a passcode, you’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID password to finish the unpair process.
Without your iPhone, here’s how to reset an Apple Watch
Keep this in mind, if you haven’t already, you should give a passcode to your Apple Watch. If you misplace your Apple Watch or it falls into the wrong hands, it won’t be able to be reset without your credentials.
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch and select General.
2. Go to the bottom of the General menu and select Reset.
3. Select Erase All Content and Settings from the menu. You’ll be asked if you want to keep or remove your plan if you have a Cellular model.
4. To restore factory settings on your Apple Watch, enter your passcode and tap Erase All.